Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Burn in Hell, Lumbhergs of the World.


I caught Office Space on TV this weekend....

TNT or some shit. I don't know.
One of those networks that turns a 90 minute movie into a three hour event, injecting an extra 90 minutes of commercials while editing all the swear words out. You know, not like, a beep, or just an erasing of sound altogether but the way they do it is actually an art-form of lameass politically correct compliance that destroys all of the trademark lines in the movie.

For example, picture Peter dreaming about the trial he will have when he is found out about the Superman 2 virus; the judge is towering over him, ready to stab the air with the gavel and threatening in his menacing judge-voice. I expected to hear, "Peter Gibbons, you will be sentenced to a Federal Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Prison," but this classic line somehow morphed into, "Federal Pound-Me-Into-Ash Prison."

LAME. But I'm not even mad about it, I get it. Kids watch this shit. Good. Let them learn about the evils of corporate dictatorships while they are young so they will be prepared. Show these children the way - Show them that you need not have dreadlocks and hoes to be a gangsta, that even if you're white and you work for a software programming company in Dallas that may as well be fictional, you can still roll like you from Compton or Tha D.... Its the situation, not the scenery.

I so identified with that character growing up. I knew I would wind up where he was, I knew I would have some kind of douche, know-it-all gradiose unholy joke of a boss and I knew I would find a way out of the situation, just like he did. I even got the sexy girlfriend. But it was tough. I worked for a few cows. I had bizarre coworkers. There were days when I was in my internship where it felt just like that scene where the 3 guys go over to Chotchkie's (sp?) to have coffee and sit there in front of that red-checkered tablecloth, in those tiny seats looking miserable and ask the age-old question to eachother, "what if we're still doing this when we're 50." Chris and Justin and I used to do that.....

Glad that shit is over.

No comments: